I am sharing a easy and tasty Malabar Snack,Spring Roll...Spring roll may be of two types: First type is Chinese spring roll,which is made with storebought/homemade thin sheet ( similar to thin chappati or samoosa sheet) which is rolled with masala inside and deep fried and second type is Malabar version,which is made of thin crepes which is rolled with masala in breadcrumbs and deep fried.. I prefer malabar version of spring roll..Lets move to the recipe:
For crepes ( dosa)batter
- All purpose flour ( maida) - 1 cup
- Egg - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Water - required
For Chicken masala
- Cooked chicken - 1 cup ( chicken cooked with pepper,turmeric and salt,de boned and shredded)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion chopped - 1 large
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chopped green chilly - 1 or 2 no.s
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Pepper pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/2 tsp
- chopped curry leaves - 1 tbsp
For dipping and rolling
- Egg - 1 large
- All purpose flour - 1 tsp
- Bread crumbs - required
For Chicken masala
- In a fry pan, heat oil and add chopped onion sprinkled with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and chopped green chillies and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell disappears
- Add cooked chicken and mix well at a high flame for few seconds..
- Then add salt and chopped curry leaves and mix well..Off the flame and set aside to cool..
For making crepes ( dosa) and spring roll
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned for dosa..Make thin batter by adjusting the quantity of water..Batter should be of pourable consistency..
- Heat a fry pan, pour small laddleful of dosa batter and spread lightly..Cook one side and keep it on a plate..No need to flip other side..
- Place one tablespoon chicken filling immediately over the edge of dosa.
- Fold the edge till the filling is covered completely..
- Then fold top and bottom part of dosa
- Roll the dosa tightly and stick the end slightly..
- For quick reference see the picture below:
Image Courtesy: Google
- Then make other dosa and continue the step till all the spring rolls are used up
- In a small bowl, mix egg and flour together and make it into paste..
- Dip the rolls in a egg-flour mixture and roll it on a bread crumbs..
- Deep fry the spring rolls till all sides are golden brown..
- Drain and keep these in a paper kitchen towel..
- Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee..