Today, I am sharing a savoury snack item, Masala Egg Bonda or Masala Stuffed Egg fritters..We make this dish mainly for iftar..It is prepared using hard boiled eggs, which is stuffed with yolk masala and dipped it in Gram Flour/ All Purpose flour batter and deep fried in oil..I'll be including with step by step pictures for the beginners to understand..Lets move to the recipe :)
- Hardboiled Eggs - 3 to 4 no.s ( boil eggs with lots of water with pinch of salt for 10-12 mins and remove the shells)
- Small onion,finely chopped -1 (or half of one large onion)
- Finely chopped ginger -1 tsp
- Finely chopped garlic - 1/4 tsp
- Finely chopped green chilly - 1 large or 2 birdeye chillies
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp ( optional)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - to deep fry
- Gram flour ( besan/kadala podi) / All purpose flour (maida) - 1/2 cup or more.
- Rice flour - 1 tsp heaped.
- Asafoeda ( kayam podi) - a pinch ( optional)
- Red chilli pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste.
- Slice half of the hard boiled eggs and remove the yolk as shown below ( see pic 1)
- Crumble the yolk with your hands and keep aside.( see pic 2)
- In a fry pan,heat little oil and add chopped onions and saute till link pink.
- Add chopped garlic,ginger and green chilly and saute for few second.
- Add turmeric powder,black pepper powder,garam masala powder and cumin powder (optional) and saute till raw smell goes away.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Finally add crumbled yolk and mix well for few mins.
- Add salt and can adjust spice of your choice.
- Add chopped curry leaves,saute for few secs and off the flame. Set aside to cool.( See the pic 3 )
Assembling the eggs:
- Make the crumbled egg masala into balls and divide it depending upon the egg halves as shown in picture.
- Place masala yolk balls into the holes of egg whites as shown in the picture and set aside. ( See the pic 5)
For Batter :
- In a large bowl, add gram flour / all purpose flour and rice powder,salt,asafoeda and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add water little by little and make into thick batter. Make sure batter must be thick otherwise filling will come out, when deep frying in oil. If the batter becomes thin, add l tsp of gram / all purpose flour. ( See the pic 4)
- Meanwhile heat a oil in a deep pan. Take a masala egg half one at a time and place on a gram batter and pour the batter on top of the yolk masala thickly.
- Carefully take the masala egg along with the batter thickly and drop slowly in a oil to deep fry as shown in picture. ( See the pic 6)
- Repeat with other masala egg halves. When one side becomes golden brown, turn other side carefully without breaking,fry until it becomes golden brown on other side too..
- Drain and place these in kitchen paper towel.
- Serve warm with tomato ketchup.
Preparation of Egg Bonda